08 January 2024

St. Paul’s This Week

January 8, 2024





Jan. 8​6:00 pm NA meeting

Jan. 13 10:00 am AA Meeting

Jan. 14  10:15 am Morning Worship with Larry Basham


​​        â€‹



Ushers:  Debbie Tucker and Rob Dziatkowski

Lectors:  Marylee James and Larry Basham

Intercessor:  Luke Stifler

Counters:  Debbie Tucker and Rob Dziatkowski




Psalm 139: 1-5, 12-17

1 Samuel 3: 1-10 

1 Corinthians 6: 12-20

John 1: 43-51



Thank you everyone who donated to Mark Engle’s new home. He is well on his way to having everything he needs. Also, a huge thank you to Mike Lankert and Mike Nelson who (briefly) turned into “Two Mikes and aTruck”. They picked up and delivered several furniture items to Mark’s apartment. They did a yeoman’s job!!! 






St. Paul’s Episcopal Church

Jeffersonville, IN 47130 



The meeting of the Vestry was called to order at 11:30 AM by Ben Sapp, Senior Warden. Other members of the Vestry present were Charlene McAndrews, Dennis McAndrews ,Luke Stifler , Sam Stifler and Larry Basham.  Marylee James, treasurer and Susan Martin, parish secretary were also present. 

Charlene shared that Rev Allan Wallace from St Paul’s New Albany will be able to join the congregation the first Sunday of every month for Eucharist. The service will be Sunday at 5 PM with the first worship on 2/4/24. There was discussion regarding keeping the church open for quiet prayer on Sunday morning on the days we have evening Eucharist.  Marylee will open the church from 10:15 to 11:30 for quiet prayer. Charlene and Dennis will prepare a sign that says “Quiet Prayer today” to place outside the church doors. 

Susan Martin shared that it is often difficult for her to gather information weekly as many people still share info with Marylee (previous Parish Administrator) or with Charlene. It was decided that Susan needs to be the point person for any events as well as changes. The congregation will be reminded and Susan will add a reminder to the St Paul’s E mail to have all information come to her attention. Charlene will take on the role of reflection coordinator and will share updates in the reflection schedule with Susan. 

Ben shared the financial reports. A copy of the reports will be provided to the congregation.  The church continues to average $2000 per month short in needed funds. It was noted that $25,000 has been moved from the endowment to general funds over the last year.  

Ben proposed Taking an additional $20,000 from the endowment to provide a cushion to cover expenses.  There will be further discussion about this proposal at the next Vestry meeting. 

There was discussion regarding how to generate income with ongoing focus on renting the basement as well as renting out the parish hall.  Current active plans: 

• A flyer has been prepared with information about the basement space. Dennis will copy the flyer and bring to church next week to share with the congregation.  Stephanie Wilson, realtor, will advertise the space on her website at no charge.


The annual meeting was discussed and the need to make the congregation aware of budget deficits as well as ways to encourage increased giving.  Suggestions were made about sharing creative ideas for giving such as using Pay Pal and 401 K donations.  A handout will be prepared before the annual meeting with information about creative ways to donate. Ben will reach out to the diocese for suggestions regarding the handout. Larry proposed that we also look at grants related to church support. 

The annual meeting will be February 4th at 10:15, our regular service time. Reverend Allan will be leading Eucharist at 5 PM that evening. 

Ben shared that he has been asked to serve on the Diocesan investment and finance committee starting this month (1/24).

The Vestry discussed leadership changes for the upcoming year. Ben will step down as Senior Warden and Marylee James offered to take on the role. Ben will serve as treasurer with Charlene assisting in writing checks for monthly bills. There was discussion regarding increasing the number of individuals on the Vestry and nominees were discussed. 

The Vestry will meet again January 21st after service to complete preparations for the annual meeting. 

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:50.

Respectfully submitted,

Charlene McAndrews , Vestry Member 






Collection of non-perishable food items for the Center for Lay Ministries.  Place items in redwagon at the side entrance to the church.  They will be taken to CLM at the end of each month. The top 10 requested items are:

Peanut Butter, Soup, Canned Fruit, Beans, Rice, Tuna, Cereal, Fruit Juice, Pasta, and Canned Vegetables.




PARISH OFFICE HOURS  11:00 am to 4:30pm Monday - Thursday

If you have something you’d like to add to the next newsletter let us know at stpaulsjeff@gmail.com



That's it for this week!  Hope to see you Sunday!



The Gabriel Staff